Posted by: mom to be | 2009-01-13

Pregnant and panic attacks

I am 8 months pregnant and I suffer from panic attacks - I was on an anti dpressant that helped with the panic but I had to stop because I fell pregnant. During this time I have been batteling to control the panic.

When I panic I am terrified - its like a burning sensation in my stomach and throat, I hyperventilate and I shake and I want to get sick and my stomach runs. I am so worried this is putting the baby in distress. Does it affect my baby?

My gynae was preparing me for the birth - she said that during labour I may have all of these panic symtoms but worse. She doesnt understand panic attacks though so she says she cant give me any advise other than just breathe.

I cant function properly when I panic and sometimes I pass out - I cant do this during labour but I cant afford a C - Section either.

What can I do to calm myself??

You need to see a good psychiatrist for a full assessment of the situation, and to examine with him your treatment options, including both CBT for the panic and anxiety, and to weight the relative risks of different medications for the panic disorder, and the risks to the pregnancy and foetus of the mother having uncontrolled panic disorder. A CBT therapist could help you gain valuable control of the anxiety and the symptoms.