Question
Posted by: angela | 2010-01-12

pregnant and painful hip

Hi Dr. Bets,
happy new year. I am now 32 weeks pregnant, and for the last 1 1/2 months or so have had a very sore left hip in my lower back / left buttock, right in the centre of my buttock. It is very sore when I bend over or twist and makes be flinch. It sometimes has been so sore that it is difficult to move my left leg forward when I walk. Are there any excercises I can do to improve this? or something else? thanks for your advise,
Angela.

Hallo Angela
Thanks, a wonderful 2010 for you too (with enough sleep..) Often when you are pregnant and the ligaments of the pelvis stretch, you develop pain in the joints like the SI joint between the spine and the hip bone low down in your back. Please see a physiotherapist or your GP for an evaluation to pinpoint the cause of the pain. If it is soft tissue pain, a physiotherapist may be able to help with infra red and massage but you may need anti-inflammatory medication in some cases (although we don't like giving it in pregnancy unless absolutely necessary)

2
Posted by: Racoon | 2010-01-13

Sounds like SIJ pain to me. My most sincere sympathy! I had it with my last pregnancy and it was awful. The only thing that helped was going to chiropractor to realign the joint. I do not believe in chiro' s, but for this it certainly was worth it as it gave instant relief. And believe me, I was crawling at times as it was too painful to walk. Try an avoid climbing stairs, walking on sand and moving your legs apart. Also, excercise specifically for pregnant women to strengthen core muscles helps a whole load - after my SIJ started I joined Preggiebellies and it also helped a lot. Best of luck!!

Reply to Racoon
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-01-12

Hallo Angela

Reply to cyberdoc