Question
Posted by: Worried | 2008/07/24

Pregnant and jobhunting

Hello,

Please help me!

I' m 20 weeks pregnant (5 months) with my tummy slightly showing. I have been searching for a job and now have a chance to get it because I have been called for an interview. Seeing that I' m going to be a single mom, I' m quite desperate to get something, not that I will settle for anything immoral or unethical though.
Anyway, do I tell the interviewers that I' m pregnant or not? My fear is that if I tell them, I might run a risk of being discriminated against regardless of the fact that I do have qualifications and skill for it. (I' ve seen how the corporate industry snubs pregnant women although this will be in a financial institution).
What must I do? And either way, what are the risks?
I thank you in advance!

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

it is absolutely imperative that you tell them you are pregnant. you certainly might run the risk of discrimination but if you do we are happy to take up a case on your behalf.

1
Posted by: Sandra | 2008/07/24

Worried, the fact is unfortunately that if you fail to disclose something like that and they find it out later, they will actually have something against you as you were dishonest. They can actually terminate a contract on this grounds if they want to. So I would recommend rather be honest. If you manage to get a job without disclosing your pregnancy and it eventually come to light that you were pregnant and did not tell them at the time of applying, even if they then keep you, they might have some trust issues in general with you in future. Good luck!

Reply to Sandra