Question
Posted by: amile | 2012/10/16

pregnant and hiv positive: am i getting the ryt treatment

hi Doc,

i am 3 weeks pregnant and hiv positive. my vl is 800 and my cd 4 is 410. my drs (gp and gynea) have suggested i start on Atripla. i know for sure my gp did not look at my latest results of tests because i was seated infront of him. he left the room to telephonically consult with my gynea without looking at my results. he did not even tell me that he is giving me ARVs  i only found out from the pharmacists by incident.

when i read on this regimen i was even more mad at their decision making process. they did not educate me, inform me or anything. this regimen seem to be not appropriate for the first trimester, and pregnancy at that.

should i be worried on other future decision these two will make about me and my babys life? i am getting a second opinion from my hiv specialist next week, but am i putting my child in danger by refusing to take the drugs in the meantime?

regards

WIth your viral load and CD4 count, you need to be on ARVs. There are a variety of combinations which may be used - they all consist of three drugs. Many women fall pregnant on ARVs. The efavirenz part of Atripla was thought to be unsafe in pregnancy, but there is more evidence coming out that the benefits outweight the risks.

3

Posted by: amile | 2012/10/19

thanks Nini.

Reply to amile
Posted by: Nini | 2012/10/17

Unfortunately the Gynea takes very long to answer here, and based on the nature of your question and the urgency of an answer, I suggest you perhaps post your question the CyberDoc on this forum as well - perhaps he can help you a little faster.

Good luck!!!

Reply to Nini