Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2009-09-12

Pregnant and diet

I had a baby almost a year ago and i weighed over 100kg with him and i suffered with high blood pressure, so i had to have an emergancy C section. I have been trying to loose weight i was only able 2 loose 7 kg' s. i have just found out that i am pregnant again which was a mistake. but now i am worried cause i can not afford to put on any weight cause of my last pregnancy which i had high blood pressure. what can i do 2 make sure the same thing does not happen with this pregnacy? am really scared.

Michelle

Dear Michelle
You need firstly to discuss this new pregnancy with a gynaecologist who will monitor your entire pregnancy (this includes your bp). Then for your own sake and that of the baby Please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assess your present weight and food intake and prescribe a diet prescription for you that will prevent excessive weight gain, while still allowing your baby to develop normally. Some research indicates that making sure that you have a high calcium intake throughout pregnancy (4 servings of fat-free milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese a day) may prevent pre-eclampsia (the high blood pressure of pregnancy). Please also discuss calcium intake with your dietitian and gynae.
Wishing you all the best for this pregnancy