Question
Posted by: Pregnant | 2009/11/18

Pregnant and antibiotics

Hi Dr Bets
I am 24 weeks pregant. About 2 weeks ago I contracted a cold. It went away about a week ago and then 4 days later I started having horrible coughing that was sore trying to cough up the stuff from my chest. I also have a sinus headache that panado' s are not doing anything for. The thing is that the mucus I bring up is not coloured but Monday and yesterday I was feeling terrible, had a pounding sinus headache that was throbbing everytime I had a coughing fit and had many coughing fits too. Because it was getting worse I went to see the doctor who prescibed a penicillin based antibiotic. He has assured me it is safe, but what are you thoughts about antibiotics and pregnancy? I am starting to feel better and the headache is not so intense. I am so scared something will go wrong with the baby but also have been feeling awful. thanks for your advise, ps: I did get some calcium tablets and these have helped a lot with cramps I wrote in about a few weeks ago. thanks for that.

Hallo Pregnant
Penicillen based antibiotics are safe in pregnancy. You could also try to rinse your nose with salt water ( 1 cup water plus 1/2 teaspoon salt - sniff up and blow out)to clear the sinuses. If your nose is very blocked you can use something like Drixine nose spray 1 spray in each nostril every 12 hours just for 5 days.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/11/18

Hallo Pregnant

Reply to cyberdoc