Posted by: sherrie | 2008-12-19

Pregnant and afraid of sex

My husband and I had a great sex life. However since I become pregnant I' m afraid to have sex. We had sex when I was 6weeks and I bled abit and that upset me.. Also I had 4miscarriage but that was due to a womb abnormality that was corrected by a operation. I' m currently 14weeks pregant. My husband want to aske the doctor if it is ok to have sex BUT i know I' m going to freak out when I see blood. But I also have my urges but the baby' s health id taking priority over my urges. But I' m also feeling guilty that I' m depriving my husband.

Dear Sherrie
Pregnancy is an important and joyous occasion in a couples life and thus has impacts on many aspects of the relationship including sexual contact. Sex during pregnancy is always practiced by couples and is safe unless there are complications . One of them is vaginal bleeding which could lead to risk of miscarriage. This puts a lot of pressure on the couple as guilt about not pleasuring the partner becomes an issue. The previous miscarriages also puts your pregnancy into a risk state and therefore you would require careful counselling on the risks of sex and other ways in which pleasuring can occur without penile vaginal intercourse.
There are certain sects who do not have sex with a pregnant female for fear of harming the baby but you have to look at all of these with your partner so that you both can make an informed decision regarding sex .