Posted by: Miss T | 2009-07-30

Pregnant &  Travelling to Nigeria

I recently found out i am 5 weeks pregnant and had a Nigeria trip schedulled for work purposes already. I travel next week wednesday and return saturday. I have been to Nigeria last year and already have my Yellow Fever Injection so i should be fine in that arena. My trip was pleasant and i came back still healthy. However, i am very worried now as i am pregnant about Malaria as i have not had any vaccines and obviously cannot take any medication as i am still in the first trimester. I unfortunately cannot postpone my trip but i will be in the hotel for the duration of the trip and the only time i will be outdoors is to and from the airport. I have spoken to a travel nurse and she advised i take repellants (for the body and for the room spray) as mosquitos are more likely to bite pregnant woman due to the low immune.

Please let me know which mosquitto repellants are safe to use during pregnancy (both for skin/body use and spraying in the hotel) i will be staying at a good hotel with mosqitto nets, i will keep the aircon on and will ensure i cover up at all times (even tho it will be difficult in the humid temperatures). Also where can i get these repellants, i am based on johannesburg. Also if you have any other safer alternatives for someone in my condition, please let me know. I unfortunately am schedulled to only go see my OB on the day i leave for Nigeria. Oh, i will be in Lagos.

Thank you so much.
Miss T

Expert ImageTravel expert

To correct one thing you mention in your question. Pregnant women are more likely to be bitten by mosquitoes because of increased body heat - not low immunity.
Insect repellent should contain DEET.
You can buy repellent from the Travel Doctor. Visit us at for more information.