Posted by: M2B | 2009-04-21

Pregnant 5 weeks and cramping

Hi GynaeDoc and everyone

This is my first pregnancy and I might just be neurotic! I am 5 weeks and 3 days and have been experiencing period like pains for the last one and a half weeks. I am confused because many resources say this is normal and many say it could be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy (which I am very scared of) or miscarraige. There is no bleeding, but the pains are very sharp (feels like I' m being stabbed in my vagina).

I am only seeing my Gynae at 11 weeks and I' m beginning to wonder whether I shouldn' t just go for a scan to set my heart at ease about the ectopic pregnancy.

I mentioned the pains to my GP when I went for my bloodtest on Saturday and she tested me for a bladder infection. It was negative.

It sounds like normal pains, but see your doctor if you are worried.

Hi Anonymous

My suggestion to you is to go see your Gynae as soon as you can. I dont want to make you worry but i had a miscarridge at 6 weeks and had the same pain prior to the miscarridge. So rather be safe than sorry, go make sure everything is fine. There are tests that can be done to see if the foetus is growing and there is medication you can go on.