Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2012/01/11

Pregnant 22 weeks

Hi There

I know every pregnancy is different but was wondering if you maybe can give me an indication if I am on the right track gaining weight.

My starting weight was 46kg. I am now 22 weeks and gained 7kg pushing my weight to 53kg.

I do aqua aerobics mondays to fridays.

Luckily my little one seem to be craving healthy things so eat a lot of veggie and fruit, fibre good fats. Have a nice fat home made strawberry milkshake every evening which consist of Vanilla Ice Cream, Low Fat Milk and 2 scoops of Strawberry nesquick.

I try to eat balanced.

Was just wondering if I was on track with the weight gain.

Virgin Active machine also stated my body fat as 27%.

Blood Pressure Fine.

Dear Kasandra
Good to hear that your pregnancy is progressing well - at 22 weeks, you are now more than halfway! Well done!. As regards weight gain during pregnancy, the latest recommendations issued by the Institute of Medicine in the USA, state that women who are underweight at conception with a BMI lower than 18.5, should gain between 12,5 and 18 kg over the 9 months of pregnancy (i.e. up to 2 kg per month or 0,5 kg per week); women with a normal weight prior to conception with a BMI between 18.5 to 24.9, should gain 11.5 to 16 kg in the 9 months (i.e. up to 1,8 kg per month) and overweight women with a BMI of 25 to 29.9 should only gain 7 to 11,5 kg (i.e. not more than 1,3 kg per month). I suspect that you may have had a very low BMI at the start of your pregnancy if you only weighed 46 kg, so your weight gain of 7 kg in 22 weeks which works out to 0,318 kg per week, is on the low side and I would like to reiterate once more that it may be a good idea to consult a registered dietitian at this stage of your pregnancy so that she/he can check what you are eating on a daily basis (energy and macronutrient plus micronutrient intakes). The milkshake sounds super, but it would not harm your baby to use full cream milk.

1

Dear Kasandra