Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2012/02/16

Pregnant

Hi Dietdoc

I am now 28 weeks pregnant and my second trimester was a breeze.

I recently had gasto flu which really made me feel tired and also I am still very off food, I do eat but feel I dont get enough in for the whole day as I eat rye crackers with cheese, peanut butter, honey, fruit and oats, twice a week fish. Would love my appetite back.

I am 1.54m and weight now 55kg, already gained 9 kg''s so think I am on track.

Just want to make sure I get enough nutrients in till my appetite become stable again. Also suffer from heartburn.

I bought Clicks Nutritional Shake, which is just like ensure. They told me it is save to drink during pregnancy.

I want to drink 2 shakes twice a day in between my meals with full cream milk.

I also switched from preg vit to biostrath as I had better results in the past with biostrath.

I hope my appetite comes back soon.

Dear Kassandra
Congratulations on the progress of your pregnancy - not long to go now. I presume you are the same Kasandra who has been updating me on your pregnancy in the past? I am glad to hear that you are going to drink a nutritional shake with full cream milk twice a day and take additional vitamins and minerals, because for a lady who is now in her 3rd trimester your BMI of 23,2 is too low. It is good that you gained 9 kg, but if you remember that I said it is suggested that women who start their pregnancies underweight (your pre-prgnancy BMI = 19), should gain 0,5 kg per week, which equals 14 kg for 28 weeks - so 9 kg, is 5 kg too few. So take it easy, use your shake with full cream milk and try to eat additional food too.
Wishing you all the best for this last trimester.

1

Dear Kassandra