Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-10-03

Pregnant

Hi Dietdoc

Pregnancy going along nicely, just been experiencing the worst ever morning sickness last week, better now.

I manage to eat lots of banana, strawberries, apples and 2 glasses of freshly squeezed orange juice.

I eat whole wheat bread with bovril, tomato and mozerella cheese.

Some spagetti and ratatouli, or an egg on toast.

I am still struggling with meat, also to get my pre natal vitamines down lately.

I try to drink a glass or two milk a day.

Just really a bit worried about the protein also can''t get my omega fish oils in. They make me want to vomit.

Dear Kasandra
Good to hear from you and that your pregnancy is progressing. The morning sickness can be a problem when it comes to eating a well balanced diet during pregnancy. I just hope that you are applying the tips on how to manage the nausea that I mentioned before and that it will pass as your pregnancy progresses. If you can't face meat or fish, then concentrate on other forms of protein like the egg you mention, also milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese and other cheeses, and legumes (lentils, dry cooked or canned beans, soya), which are all good sources of protein and may make you feel less nauseous. It may also be an idea to temporarily use a plant-based source of omega-3 such as flaxseed oil capsules (buy at health shops), until you can return to using omega fish oils. Flaxseed is a source of ALA which has to be converted to EPA and DHA (which are found in fish oils and are the most potent omega-3 fatty acids), but if you can stomach he flaxseed more easily than fish oil, you will at least still be supplying your developing baby with some omega-3.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-10-03

Dear Kasandra