Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/09/15

Pregnant

Hi Dietdoc

I am about 5 weeks pregnant, I am about 48kg and 1.54. I have been very lucky not to really have any morning sickness, dont know if this can happen later. I do try to eat balanced my eating plan usually consist.
Breakfast : Wholewheat Roll with Syrup, Glass of Milk and Tea (feel slightly nausuas in the morning)
Snack : Yogurt, Apple or Cadburys Muesli Bar
Lunch : Veggie Burger Pattie and Rye Roll with Avo or Hummus or Chicken/Jam or Veggie Wrap
Snack : Apple
Dinner : Veggies / Soya Berry Shake with Fresh Berries
Sometimes Patato Chips (have craving for these)

I try to eat a variaty but do find that I crave a small packet of chips a day. Is this ok to eat?

I take full multi vitamin, omega and calcium tablet a day.

Sometimes I wake up hungry at 04:00 and have milk and banana.

I want to do moderate exercise like walking and swimming but also due to sickness and passing of family I feel very tired and think its best to just relax and take it easy.

Mostly focus on healthy balanced meals but feel if I want to treat myself I have it is this ok.

Dear Kasandra
Congratulations on your pregnancy. Many women do not experience so-called 'morning sickness', so I hope you don't get any for the full 9 months. Your diet seems reasonable, but I would like to suggest that you have 2 additional servings of milk or yoghurt a day to provide the 1500 mg of calcium you and baby need every day (despite the calcium tablet). Also ask the doctor who is monitoring your pregnancy to check your blood iron levels, so that he/she can prescribe an iron-folic acid supplement if this should be necessary. Because you are starting your pregnancy with a low BMI of 20,3, there is no harm in having a snack like the chips. To read more about various aspects of pregnancy and breastfeeding click on 'DietnFood' and 'Eating throughout life' and read the section on 'Pregnancy'. Take your cue about exercise from your body. If you feel tired, rest, when you feel more energetic (usually during the 2nd trimester), go for walks in the fresh air or do yoga to relax and create the best possible scenario for the baby. Always check with your dr before you do any exercise while you are pregnant.
I hope you have a wonderful and fulfilling pregnancy.

1

Dear Kasandra