Posted by: T | 2010-02-05

Hi, i am 10 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I would like to know, i was warned that there may be complications if my husband and i have different blood types, which we do. I am B- and he is O+. What does this mean for the baby and me? Can anything go wrong with the baby?
Thank you!

Yes, you do run a risk of incompatibility between your bloodtype and that of the fetus. This can cause hemolytic syndrome of the fetus. Your doctor should be informed and adequate precautions will be taken during the birthing process. Ask your doctor to explain this to you in detail.

Complications can be avoided. Do not be too concerned.

Posted by: Racoon | 2010-02-05

Maybe post to Gynae Doc too. You might have Rh incompatibility, if baby is Rh +, but thats usually not a problem during the first pregnancy. You will need to have injections at 28 weeks and then again just after birth. So you can relax for now. Just ask about it at your next check-up.

Reply to Racoon