Posted by: patricia | 2009-06-09

Can they retrench me while I am pregnant

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Pregnant

Companies can certainly retrench while you are pregnant if they follow Section 189 carefully. Normally if you are away on maternity leave then they could not have consulted with you properly and therefore it would not have been followed properly. In essence, pregnancy does not mean that you can't be retrenched but it certainly means you can't be consulted if you are away on leave.

If you are retrenched due to or because your pregnant - no that would be unfair dismissal. If they retrench you due to bad work performance or any other valid reasons and they can prove it then yes they can retrench you. Get some more advice, it all depens on the details of the situation.