Posted by: Ann | 2008-11-05

Hi there,

Im 14 weeks pregnant. My gynae has said I should only sleep on my side or stomach and not my back. Only problem I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night &  im laying on my back. Is this harmful for my baby? Im a first time mom so Im just a little concerned.

At the moment, it is not a problem, but later in pregnancy the uterus can compress the big vessels and interfere with the blood supply to the baby. You can then try propping a pillow under your back so that you are not completely flat.

Posted by: FTM | 2008-11-05

Hi Ann,

I am a First time mom too... I heard that you cut of blood supply to the baby by lying on your back... not sure how true or how far you have to be for this to happen...

I am pretty sure that you will adapt and sleep the way you' re suppose to soon...

Good luck.

Reply to FTM