Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2009-07-06

Pregnancy Weight

I had my baby 9 months ago and I have not been able to lose the weight, I have actually put more on. Before I fell pregnant I had put on about 15kg on the pill and then another 14kg pregnancy fat. I have been struggling to lose all this weight. Please can you help me? It is starting to get me down emotionally

Hi Michelle

Difficult to say - are you active? Are you looking at diet? Gaining weight during pregnancy is (obviously) expected, and sometimes losing it can be difficult afterwards. Blame hormones, perhaps, but lifestyle is a key part of this. I do think that you need to look at lifestyle, and ask whether your diet and exercise habits are correct. If you were not active prior to pregnancy, then maybe you need to think about it. If you were active, then you need to return to that level, or maybe even slightly more. Here's where I am guessing, because I don't know what you used to do.

You need a programme that is based around cardio training, including walking, jogging, cycling, perhaps aerobics, depending on what you have access to.

In terms of a programme, my advice would be to check out the programmes on the Health 24 fitness page.

Click on "Fitness", then on 'Programmes' and choose one of these training programmes. My advice would be to choose the walking or running programmes (the first or second one) and then go for them. Also look through the Fitness section, because there is a loads of useful information there that will help you. Bascially, what you need to aim for regular exercise, and be consistent.

As far as exercise goes, it is the cardio training, like cycling, running, stepping, aerobics, walking etc. that is most helpful in losing weight. All these activities cause heart rate to go up, and are increasing your body's metabolic rate, which ultimately causes you to lose weight by burning more fat (again, assuming you are also eating well). So I would say you should continue with what you are doing, keep focussed on the cardio. I think that 4 times a week is the minimum you should aim to exercise, five is probably the ideal number, but four is fine too. The intensity you train is also very important. A lot of times, people train a little too easy, perhaps. I am not saying you should go out and push super hard and exhaust yourself every day, but stepping up the intensity once or twice a week is certainly a good thing. You should aim for a total of 45 minutes or so (anything between 30 and 50 minutes is a good average), and you should finish each session feeling tired, but not exhausted. If you do that, and you eat well, then you should lose weight.