Posted by: Michelle | 2009-07-06

Pregnancy Weight

I had my baby 9 months ago and I have not been able to lose the weight, I have actually put more on. Before I fell pregnant I had put on about 15kg on the pill and then another 14kg pregnancy fat. I have been struggling to lose all this weight. Please can you help me? It is starting to get me down emotionally

Dear Michelle
If you have weaned your baby off the breast then I would recommend the following: a) Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 min a day. b) If after a month you have not lost at least 4 kg in weight, then I think you should have a checkup to see if you don't have a hormonal problem (lack of thyroid hormone, or insulin resistance(IR)). As your dr to check. If this should be the case, the dr will prescribe thyroid hormone replacement therapy which you can then combine with the suggested diet and exercise. If you suffer from IR then it is essential to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels.