Question
Posted by: Jade | 2008/07/29

Pregnancy Weight

Hi Dietdoc

I am concerned that maybe i am picking up too much weight. I am currently 17w pregnant and have picked up 5kilo' s already. My dr has advised that i shoudl only pick up 9 -12kg in my whole pregnancy.
But im hungry ALL the time
I eat:
cereal when i wake up
2 sandwiches sometime in the morning
muffin
apple and/or bananna
normally raid the vending machine for chips/chocolate late afternoon
some days i have a slice of toast when i get home
then i still have a cooked dinner.
I also have this HUGE craving for ice cream...so i have that as well most days.

I barely ever eat take aways though (maybe once a month) so most of what i am eating is healthy....
but am i eating too much??

Dear Jade
Congratulations on your pregnancy. I do not think that you are gaining too much weight. So far you have only picked up 5 kg in 4 months, which works out to 300g per week which is certainly not excessive. From what you mention about your food intake, your diet does not really sound well balanced for a pregnancy where you and the baby require lots of protective nutrients and plenty of calcium for health teeth and bones. If possible I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because you need to increase your calcium (this could be responsible for the ice cream craving), iron, omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, and phytonutrients (by eating up to at least 5 servings of fruit and/or vegetables). The dietitian may also recommend that you start eating foods with a low glycaemic index (GI) to stop you from feeling hungry all the time. Low-GI foods keep your blood sugar levels stable for longer and prevent cravings. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI.
Wishing you a good pregnancy

1
Posted by: Jade | 2008/07/29

i should proberbly add
just before i fell pregnant i went through a stressful period and i weighted 49/50kg...then i got my weight back up to about 53 just before i found out i was pg
i now weight 58 and am 1,7m.

Reply to Jade