Posted by: Eve | 2009-01-13

Pregnancy vs Vitamins &  Smoking

Dear Dr C,
I would so appreciate your help! I am now 6 weeks pregnant and terrified of doing something wrong that could hurt my baby in the 1st critical trimester. My first question is about vitamins during pregnancy. I am currenlty on Chelapreg multivitamin for pregnant women, and taking extra Calcium, Folicacid, Omega 3 &  6. A friend said I' m killing my baby with plastic. Am I over doing it, epsecially with regard to the Calcium? My second question is smoking. I am a smoker, but have no problem quitting for my baby' s sake and have allready cut down to 1-3 a day. The reason for this is that I' ve heard it is traumatic on an unborn child when there' s no more nicotine supply to the mother and the mother' s withdrawels are even worse on the unborn. Please advise what would be the right thing to do?
My GP advised me to speak to my Gynae, but he is still on leave and can only see me in Feb when he returns. I have also requested the assistance of various pharmancists, but that left me with even more questions. Also, I have PCS (pelvic congestion syndrome) and I am experiencing terrible pain most of the time, like permanent period pain. I was told that pregnancy could calm PCS or aggrevate it, is this true? As the pain has worsened, is this normal? Your guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

You are probably overdoing the vitamins.
The extra calcium and folate are not necessary.
It is best to stop smoking altogether. This will not cause withdrawal in the baby.
Perhaps you pain is due to ligament stretching rather than pelvic congestion. Discuss it with your doctor.