Question
Posted by: Sham | 2010/01/14

Pregnancy, Thyroid and Fatigue

I' m 31 weeks pregnant and have an underactive Thyroid. It' s something I' ve had for years (the underactive Thyroid that is).

I know that with pregnancy and the heat we are experiencing in the Cape it' s natural to feel tired, but no matter what I do I can' t shake this feeling of extreme fatigue. I feel the need to close my eyes and sleep at every moment of the day - even after I' ve just woken up and had a shower.

I' m worried that my thyroid may be acting up and I may need a stronger dose. Could this be possible or is it just a case of " are we there yet" , i.e. the birth of the baby.

Incidentally, I don' t recall feeling like this with my first child, and I was pregnant at roughly the same time (both born/due in March)

You should have your thyroid function checked. This should be done at regular intervals during the pregnancy anyway.

1