Question
Posted by: NvW | 2011-03-13

Pregnancy paranoia

Goodness gracious me, I am a logical and level headed person until I become pregnant! It seriously bugs me that I get so strung about when pregnant, let me give you an example, I google ALL the time, yesterday I tried helping my husband with his sore back, I rubbed some voltaren emulgel onto his back, for probably 2 minutes, then washed my hands 3 times, then got all paranoid and googled, voltaren should be avoided in the third trimester due to risks to the baby.

Now my husband assures me that its not as if I drank the stuff or put it onto my own skin - still here I am googling away!

Is this normal? Can I take some rescue remedy for this?

I don't know whether rescue remedy would help, as its never been properly tested to prove what it can and can't do. Come to think of it, google can't then tell you if it's safe in pregnancy. nI'm sure that rubbing Voltaren gel onto your husband's back won't do any harm to you or the baby. They are talking of risks when you are taking am substantial dose by mouth or injection over a significant period of time.
But consider CBT counselling for the paranoia / sense of bein so at risk, as this is harmless and helpful !

4
Posted by: Vaal Donkie | 2011-03-14

SOme paradoxical advice: your paranoia is harnful to your child. Have fun!

Reply to Vaal Donkie
Posted by: PUrple | 2011-03-14

This is quite normal when you are pregnant. We all feel paranoid about everything. Its normal and in times when there wasn''t access to information it helped people not to do anything dangerous for baby. Now we can check before we do things and make a decision.

Don''t worry, I just refuse to rub voltarin on my husbands back. I even worry when I put arnica on my son after soccer matches.

I''m sure its actually all fine though, it''s a tiny little amount that would have been absorbed by your hands.

Reply to PUrple
Posted by: Pot | 2011-03-13

Its just the way you are carrying a child. Dont make it into something greater than it is.

Reply to Pot