Posted by: Pregnant | 2009-04-01

Pregnancy Nutrition - Vegetarian

Hello DietDoc,

I am 18 weeks pregant. As a vegetarian, I would like to know if I need to take additional supplements during this period? I am currently taking Pregnavite (vitamin tablet) and my Folic Acid daily. I eat no meat or fish but do eat all diary products and eggs.

Dear Pregnant
Congratulations on your pregnancy. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life" and 'Pregnancy' and look for the article "What should pregnant vegetarians eat?" which will give you background info on pregnancy diets for vegetarians. The fact that you eat all dairy products and eggs is excellent as this will ensure that you obtain sufficient high quality protein, calcium, iron and other B vitamins and minerals for you and baby. Ask your dr or gynae to check your blood iron levels regularly. I don't think you need take anything else except omega-3 supplements. Buy flaxseed oil capsules at chemist shops if you are not permitted any fish products (Salmon oil capsules are high in omega-3).
Enjoy your pregnancy