Question

Pregnancy Hormones??

Hi doc.
I''m 26 weeks pregnant. Haven''t been emotional or anything really, but lately, I get so annoyed it makes my skin crawl. From the smallest things to major things, irritate the sh!t out of me. At the office, at home, my family, my colleagues, my dogs , my husband, everything and everyone.
I don''t want to be a cranky pregnant women, and I''ve always been the kind of person to hold myself in. Now it''s getting so bad, because all that''s happening, is the irritation inside me, which I''ve always had, but never thought much off, is getting bigger and bigger, and I don''t want....or can really, let my emotions go, or tell people how I feel or what I think. It will cause a lot of issues.
Because the day that I do blow my fuse, it''s going to be good and proper, and that won''t be good for anyone...except my own mood, for the moment anyway and afterwards I''ll feel like an idiot. How does one deal with these things when you''re pregnant?

The hormones and other changes of pregnancy can indeed cause, temporarily, a range of emotional storms and irritability. And irritability can also be a possible sign of the early development of a related depression. A psychologist / counsellor can help assess the situation, and can help you gain useful skills in dealing with anger and other troublesome emotions, and in expressing emotions in more positive ways rather than only bottling them up.

7

I''ve told this to doctor and gynie, they just say ah, it''s normal for pregnant women to have sleep problems, and there is no medication for it. So, I dunno.

Posted by: Caro | 2011/08/11

Please get help for your own sake and that of your family. Sleep deprivation is a torture and you will have to do something to get some. Will you go to your doctor for a referral? Please?

Reply to Caro

Thanks Caro. Part of my problem also is the fact that I''m not sleeping. That also makes me irritable. I maybe get 3-4 hours sleep a night. I can''t take naps on weekends, cos I can''t sleep. It feels like I''m awake like 80% of each day. And I know, when baby comes, I won''t sleep also, so I must try to get as much sleep now as I can, but I''m not getting any sleep. And I''ve talked to hubby about it, but he can''t really do anything about it. I just don''t want to explode one day, but I really feel like just blowing my top, and maybe I won''t have this contained irritablitiy that feels like a concrete block I have to carry with me everyday. BUt I might upset or hurt some people in the process, which is never a good thing. Some days it feels like trying to fill a 2 litre bottle with 5 litres of water. Somewhere, somehow it''s going to start spurting out at inapropriate times and places.

Posted by: Caro | 2011/08/11

But if it happens dont beat yourself up about it. It happens to many women and you shouldnt feel like you''ve failed. Just reach for help before it gets to the point where you feel it is unmanageable. Speak to your husband about your feelings as well. You will need a lot of sleep. Remember that a baby and new family is only as happy as the mother is - so it is essential that you look after yourself first and foremost. It is not selfish at all.

Reply to Caro

Thanks guys, this really helps. I don''t want post natal depression and baby blues, I''m already prone to feelings of depression and discouragement ect. So anything I can do to prevent any form of full blown depression, will be worth it.

Posted by: Caro | 2011/08/11

And added to therapy some Blackthorn Elixir from the pharmacy or Clicks can help your mood and production of breastmilk. Add to juice, rooibos tea or water. I used it throughout my pre, ante natal moods and now give it to my 12-yr old to deal with her PMS.

Reply to Caro