Posted by: Mom | 2009-03-26

Pregnancy Diet?

I am 3 months pregnant and weight 76kg. I havent picked up weight yet and am so worried about weighing more. I am 28 yrs old and this is my 4th pregnancy. I wasnt over weight for the other pregnancies b4. Is it possible to not pick up weight or lose weight healthily in a pregnancy?

Thank You

Dear Mom
Congratulations on your pregnancy. It is possible to lose some weight during pregnancy or to keep your weight relatively constant until after the pregnancy, but I would like you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she can help you work out which foods to avoid without depriving you or the baby of any vital nutrients (e.g. calcium, iron, omega-3, etc). If you dr gives permission you can also do some exercise such as going for a walk every day which will help to control your weight gain. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and 'Pregnancy' and read the articles on diets in pregnancy.
Wishing you all the best

Posted by: Lizelle | 2009-05-05

I read that as a pregnant woman I should rather avoid herbal teas. Is rooibos ok to drink?

Reply to Lizelle