Question
Posted by: Steph | 2008/06/12

Pregnancy confusion -help!!!

On June 10th i found out that i was pregnant. My last period is May 15th and prior to that its been consistent. I had intercourse with someone on May 24th (we used a condom, I spoke with him and he stated that the condom did not break or anything, but you never know) and then i had sex with my man on May 27th and May 31st (we did not used a condom) The fertility calculator states that i am most fertile dates ranging from May 29 - June 3rd. My menstrual cycle length is about 31 days. I am just trying to make sure that my boyfriend is the potential father to my child. He knows im pregnant and he is very delighted.

Also, if my boyfriend was to be the father of the baby how come the pregnancy test was positive at such an early stage, giving it basically a 2week notice. Can this be correct?

Thank you so much!

Dear Steph
In general, what you have calculated is correct, as ovulation would occur ± on day 15 or 16 of YOUR particular cycle. A sensitive blood pregnancy test would certainly have picked up a positive pregnancy by the 10 June or thereabout. However, I would wait for a late first trimester ultrasound scan to confirm the exact gestational age and retrospectively calculate the conception date accordingly.

3
Posted by: Steph | 2008/06/13

yea thats what i thought.

Thank you so much!

Reply to Steph
Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/06/13

Oh, I understand what you are asking. It is likely you conceived on the 31st May (with a 31 day cycle) and it is possible, with sensitive tests to get a positive 10 days after ovulation.

The only way the other guy would be the father is if you ovulated early in your cycle and the condom broke, thus unlikely.

Reply to Dee GTC
Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/06/13

It is likely that your bf is the father as you slept with the other guy earlier in your cycle (and with a condom).

Im sorry I dont understand your last question. A preg test should come back positive 2 weeks after ovulation.

Reply to Dee GTC