Posted by: Linda | 2011-03-30

Pregnancy checks

I am approx 15 days from delivery of my second child. Due to a hard situation, I never went for any checks and dont have gynae. I have had lots of movement in the last few months. Should I be concerned in any way about anything?

If you have never seen a doctor, it is difficult to say if everything is alright. I would suggest that you make a plan as soon as possible.

Posted by: Purple | 2011-03-31

If you are planning on using a government hospital for the birth, you need to make contct wtih them soon as nursing staff at government hospitals are well known for turning people away if they haven''t followed correct procedures. They have no qualms about sending women in labour away because they haven''t attended ante-natal checks. How often do we read about women who end up giving birth in the hospital parking lot or reception area after having been turned away.

If you are going to have a home birth, you had better make contact with a mid wife soon and hope someone can fit you in.

There''s nothing you can do about the checks you have missed, but you need to give some thought to the birth now. Remember that people who just give birth at home with no medical help in rural communities have a very high rate of maternal and infant death, so its probably not the wisest idea.

Reply to Purple