Question
Posted by: Kat | 2011/05/23

Pregnancy at 40

I have just turned 40, my partner is 32 and has a child. I want to know the possibility of falling pregnant - I have been on the pill for many years. How long before conception can happen after stoppage? Risks? We''re both healthy, I dont smoke or drink and go to the gym 5 times a week though I am about 10kg overweight. Any tips?

Dear Kat

I would firstly advise that you have a full and thorough gynaecological evaluation including an assessment of ovarian reserve. Based on these findings it would be more prudent to assess your fertility potential. In general were there are no obvious fertility issues and your background conception for age is in the order of 10% per cycle. That is to say with each ovulatory cycle you have a 10% chance of falling pregnant and since these figure are accumulative it is correct to say that it may take you at least 12-15 months to fall pregnant naturally. Please bear in mind that this is based on the proviso that all factors including sperm analysis, tubal factors, etc are all absolutely normal.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/05/26

Dear Kat

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert