Question
Posted by: Carien Odendaal | 2012/08/04

Pregnancy asap.

I need some advice as I am so confused! I went to FS to try getting pregnant. We have been trying for a year. Sperm count perfect. I had trouble to fall pregnant with my first baby but I did fall regnant naturally.

I went to the FS as my Periods are irregular. He did some bloodwork and told me that I am insulin resistant.he put me on Glucophage and postoval to try correct my cycle length. Was on it for 6months.then he told me to stop with postoval and drink half an fertomid pill on day 4 to 8. Went for an progesterone level test on day 21 but came back neg.my period didn''t come and was 16 days late. Did hpt and was neg. It eventulay came and I phoned the FS to tell him that my blood sugar first thing in the morning is only 1.9 and I wasn''t feeling we''ll. He told me that I should stop with glucophage,so I did. For the second month in a row I did not Ovulate. I am so frustrated I don''t know what to do.

The FS didn''t even once do an second bloodwork to see what my insulin is doing now.

Please help. Any advice?

Carien

Dear carien
It appears from what you have written that you have a problem with ovulating as well as hyperinsulinemia. The two together means that you have a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome. The doctor was correct on putting you on glucophage to try and reduce the insulin level however it appears if you are feeling dizzy and your glucose fell down 1.9 than the dosage might be a little too strong for you. You can control; your insulin level by going onto a carbo hydrate reduced diet as well as exercise. The result of which will be weight reduction and there are many studies that have shown there are 50% of patients that don’t ovulate will start ovulating if they reduce their body weight. If however you are dropping your sugar levels too low with glucophage than you can also use, inofollic that works well in patients with high insulin levels. It appears that despite using fertomid, you still did not ovulate. Your doctor should start increasing the fertomid until ovulation occurs. Once you are ovulating on the fertomid and there are no other problems, you should start conceiving within the next 6 months.
posted by Dr Y.M.Dasoo

2
Posted by: carien | 2012/08/19

Thank you very much for the answer!

Carien

Reply to carien
Posted by: Fertility Expert | 2012/08/17

Dear carien
posted by Dr Y.M.Dasoo

Reply to Fertility Expert