Posted by: TK | 2009-05-18

Pregnancy and what is allowed

Hi doc

I know that you are not allowed to eat feta or honey when pregnant, but is it allowed when it has been heated? For instance in a feta and spinach quiche that has been through the oven or on a pizza, or does it have to be heated for a long time before it is safe to eat? Also honey in rooibos tea, if the tea is hot, I get it from a local farmer? I don' t want to take any chances, but if it' s allowed, it would be nice.

Thanks doc

Feta is fine, and I can't see that honey should be a problem.

I have two normal, healthy babies. I extensively researched what you can eat and what to avoid. Of course Doc will know best but here is what worked for me:
Then of course most medicine is not safe.Check with your dr before you take anything and also inform the pharmacist that you are pregnant.
Then as far as food is concerned - feta is safe even if not heated. Brie, Camembert and Blue Cheese is not guaranteed safe and should be avoided.
I have heard that you should avoid honey and it should be avoided - als sushi.
But, it is very rare that any foods will be harmful. So most importantly no alcohol and meds and for the rest you can relax.
Oh, and stay away from kitty litter.

Congratulations and enjoy being pregnant. A baby is such a precious privilege!.