Posted by: Lorraine | 2009-12-04

pregnancy and sinusitus

I am currently 15 weeks pregnant. I suffer from severe allergic sinusitus. I have been on antibiotics 3 times since being pregnant
but my GP assures me the ones prescribed are safe during pregnancy. I am suffering more than normal with it because usually I am on flixonase nasules to control it but have had to stop since being pregnant. Are they really dangerous to use while pregnant. Another option my GP has suggested is that I get cortizone injections in my sinuses. Would this be bad for the baby? I want to know what my safest option is as I seem to be getting sick once a month.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Lorraine

It is not uncommon in pregnancy to have more problems with sinusitis, as hormonal changes have an effect on nasal mucosa (nose more swollen). I your case it may be necessary to keep you on a longterm treatment of appropriate antibiotics. You should see an ENT to discuss this, as well as consult with your gynaecologist, as certain drugs are allowed in pregnancy under close supervision. It is also possible to put you on a steroid nasal spray, as this is generaly not systemically absorbed. Once again, this may only be used in consultation with your gynaecologist. It is contra indicated to inject steroids into the nasal cavity (turbinates) as there is the possibility of causing blindness. An alternative should be found.