Posted by: mom | 2011-05-25

Pregnancy and paint fumes

Hi Doc,
I was wondering if you could give me your opinion please. When I was approximately 5 months pregnant we had some waterproofing done to our flat. The contractors used a waterproofing product that was very volatile and bitchumen like. I have read on the MSDS that it contains isocynate which is a potential carginogen. My daughter is currently now 14 months old and has generally been well achieving her milestones. My question is, could the waterproofing paint fumes have done any harm to her while I was pregnant? Thanks Concerned mom.

I am unable to find a direct link between the inhalation of volatile fumes and any abnormalities in a child exposed to these fumes during pregnancy. Unfortunately, there is enough evidence that exposure to VOC's can be harmful to the health of people.