Question
Posted by: Haily | 2010/11/09

Pregnancy and one ovary

Hi doc

I had one of my ovaries removed 8 months ago after having a 14cm cystic teratoma in my abdomin and I am getting married next month. I am concerned about my chances of falling pregnant. My gynae says that if I go on birth control it will help to " store"  eggs until I am ready to fall pregnant. But I hear so many scary stories from friends who knew people with the same problem that struggled to fall pregnant after being on birth control. I dnt want to risk it by going on birth control, but I also dnt want to risk falling pregnant on my wedding night.

My question is: With one ovary, is taking birth control recommended?

Thanking you in advance :)

Your chances of falling pregnant with one ovary are only slightly less than with two, so you certainly could fall pregnant. The Pill has not long term effects on fertility.

1