Posted by: Anon | 2011-08-10

Pregnancy and ill health

Last year I suffered a traumatic pregnancy loss and had to use up all my sick leave for the current cycle. Its been a fewmonths and I have not been ill at all. A few weeks ago I came down with acute bronchitis and had a relapse and diarreah for two weeks, the dr has booked me off now for a further 2 weeks due to severe depression. I''m beginning to panic now for work purposes because i also found out that I am pregnant and I dont want to disclose this to my employer because of what happened to me last year everybody knew that I was pregnant and when I lost the baby some people were not so nice therefore my husband and I decided to wait to let any one know even our families. Please advise me if I am correct?

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

I understand your concerns. Firstly you are well protected by law with maternity benefits, so need to be stressed from this. Secondly you need to deal wit your depression and not make it worse by worrying about thee issues. One has to appreciate the employers stance as well as the employment contract does place responsibility upon the employee to present themselves to fulfill their contracted duty.So all in all both parties have expectoration rights and protection.
Sit down with management be honest and truthful and expect the same. Good luck!

Posted by: Pieter | 2011-10-13

The employer is responsible to adopt your working circumstances to accommodate your physical conditions due to your pregnancy. It will be very irresponsible to the unborn child to hide your pregnancy to your employer as it can have a negative influence on your health.

Reply to Pieter