Posted by: Jana | 2009-03-03

Pregnancy and High Blood Pressure

Hi doc, I would like to find out about the following. When I was pregnant with my first baby I developed high bp during the last trimester, when he was born at 37 weeks he weighed 2.36kg. My GP has advised me not to fall pregnant again as the bp is now chronic and I have to take medicine daily. Is this so or is there a possiblity of falling pregnant again even though I have high blood pressure. Thanks

Many women with chronic high blood pressure have successful pregnancies if it is well controlled. The important things would be to check that you are on medication that is safe in pregnancy before you conceive, and you will need careful monitoring during the pregnancy as there is an increased chance of getting pre-eclampsia.