Question
Posted by: Tash | 2011/11/17

Pregnancy and Glucophage and Adalat

Dear GynaeDoc

I have been taking 1000mg of Glucophage XR per night for the last 5 years since I was diagnosed with insulin resistance after the birth of my son.

I found out that I am between 5 and 6 weeks pregnant this week and was wondering what effect would the glucophage have on my pregnancy if I continued taking it and what effect it woiuld have if I discontinued taking it.

I am also Hypertensive and take 30mg a day of Adalat to control that.

Metformin will not harm the pregnancy. It really depends on what your sugar control is. You should book with your gynae and he/she will see what your sugar levels are like, and then decide whether you should continue the metformin or not. The Adalat is fine. Blood pressure often drops after 12 weeks and you may not need it then.

2

Im no expert, but my gynea made me take glucophage up to 5 months of pregnency. as he said the risk of miscarrying at that stage is reduced.

But you should consult with your doctor