Question
Posted by: Des | 2011/10/26

Pregnancy and folic acid

Good day
I am 12 weeks pregnant and taking folic acid (5mg)per day. I would now like to start taking a multi vitamin (I bought Pregnancy Supplement, clicks brand, vitamins and minerals) but now i dont know if i should continue taking the folic acid WITH the pregnancy supplement as it contains 795ug folic acid as well, or does this pregnancy supplement contain enough folic acid as is?
Your feedback is most welcome
Des

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Des

Pregnant women need 400 to 800 mcg of folic acid in the very early stages of pregnancy often before they know that they are pregnant. A pregnant woman should keep taking folic acid throughout pregnancy. Women should discuss their folic acid needs with their doctors. Some doctors prescribe prenatal vitamins that contain higher amounts of folic acid.

All the best!

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/10/27

Hi Des

All the best!

Reply to pharmacist