Question
Posted by: Angela | 2010/01/12

Pregnancy and excercise

I am now 32 weeks pregnant and for the last month have been experiencing pain on the left side of my hip in my left buttock sometimes up the left side of my back. It becomes increasingly sore if I bend or twist and sometimes makes walking uncomfortable. I am also quite out of breath due to the baby pushing on my diapragm. Before I fell pregnant I was quite fit and during my pregnancy, tried to stick to most of my gym routine until about 5 to 6 months pregnant. I have continued with yoga once a week and found that sometimes my back feels better afterwards. Do you have any excercises you could recommend to improve the pain I am feeling in the back of my hip / bum? I would like to get back into excercising soon after the baby is born to try to loose the additional weight I have gained so would not like to feel achey if I can avoid it. thanks very much for your tips, Angela.

Hi Angela

I think this is important enough that you need to consult with an exercise professional. Generally, after 30 weeks, once the body's centre of gravity starts to change and once the joints start to become lax, you want to avoid exercises that involve major stretching, lying on the back and so forth.

So if you've developed backpain, I'd certainly avoid further exercise. As for treating it right now, I can only suggest that you see a physio and have it treated by them, because it's hazardous to prescribe any treatment over the internet.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/01/20

Hi Angela

Reply to fitnessdoc