Question
Posted by: Lin | 2011-07-30

Pregnancy and dehydration

I know this is rather a gynaedoc question, but she takes forever to answer and I value your opinion.

I''m currently 12 weeks 5 days pregnant with my second child. I suffer from hyperemesis (as with my first child straight through the pregnancy). Was hospitilised at 8 and a half weeks because of dehydration.

I have fewer vomiting episodes but I''m still nauseas 24/7. I battle to drink anything. I try a few sips of water every few minutes. I''m just worried that I''m not taking in enough fluids. I''ve lost 4kg''s since I was 6 weeks pregnant, but my gynae isn''t worried about that

My question is how do I know that I''m taking in enough fluids? I get thirsty but if I drink more than 2 - 3 sips of water I vomit...

Lin

You should aim to consume at least two to two and a half liters of fluid each day. Rehydrate sachets is especially useful to rehydrate the body. You can use Emex syrup to alleviate your symptoms of nausea. This product is safe in pregnancy and is available over the counter at pharmacies.