Question
Posted by: Bella | 2010/07/10

Pregnancy &  Progesterone

I am 10 and half weeks pregnant after my 7th attempt at IVF. So far everything has been fine, I have been for 6 and 8 week scans and it was very reassuring.

I have been taking 4 x cyclogest (400mgs) daily since my preg test and my prog levels are stable around 150. My FS seems happy with that and has told me to continue till 12 weeks.

But I am hesitant to suddenly stop at 12 wks? I know the placenta starts taking over the production of prog at 12wks....but from 4 cyclogest a day, to suddenly stop seems scary.

I thought it might be a better idea to wean off from 12 weeks, and reduce my dosage to 2, and then 1 for a few weeks.

What do you think or suggest from your expertise?

Bella

Dear Bella

There is no harm done if you intend on continuing with Progesterone supplementation throughout the pregnancy. However the level of progesterone in the supplement is minuscule compared to the endogenous production taking place as the pregnancy advances and therefore the values of the progesterone supplementation is questionable beyond 12-14 weeks.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

2
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/07/16

Dear Bella

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Dee | 2010/07/12

I am infact doing exactly that (also preg after my 7th IVF). There is no way I can just stop, its too stressful so Im down to 2 a day and then will take 1 for a while then stop.

Reply to Dee