Question
Posted by: Liezl | 2012/09/04

pregnancy after miscarriage

My last period was on the 18th October I know this for a fact. I wrote it in my diary to keep track of my period. When I went to the gynae she estimated 3 weeks pregnant. 23 July I had a blood test done to confirm pregnancy and this blood test estimated pregnancy between 5 and 6 weeks. (This test was done on the 23 July) Saturday I had a blood test done as the doctor said the baby was too small according to the scan measurements and Blood results. She said it was 8 weeks instead of 10 weeks. The problem is that between the two blood test 4 weeks have passed? How can I be 8 weeks pregnant only. She said that there was a heartbeat and there has been growth since the July blood test. I am worried because I had a miscarriage in May at 10 weeks. How accurate are these blood tests? How can I accurately know how far pregnant I am?

The blood tests are not very accurate in determining how far pregnant you are. The scan is much more accurate. You have written down your period incorrectly as it is not yet October, so I can't work out from there.

2
Posted by: Liezl | 2012/09/06

So Sorry my last period was 18 June. My doctor told me that I might be heading towards another miscarriage if my dates are correct, but my dates are spot on, 18 June. I should be 10 weeks but everything points to 8 weeks?! I am not sure how this works then?

" My last period was on the 18th October I know this for a fact. I wrote it in my diary to keep track of my period. When I went to the gynae she estimated 3 weeks pregnant. 23 July I had a blood test done to confirm pregnancy and this blood test estimated pregnancy between 5 and 6 weeks. (This test was done on the 23 July) Saturday I had a blood test done as the doctor said the baby was too small according to the scan measurements and Blood results. She said it was 8 weeks instead of 10 weeks. The problem is that between the two blood test 4 weeks have passed? How can I be 8 weeks pregnant only. She said that there was a heartbeat and there has been growth since the July blood test. I am worried because I had a miscarriage in May at 10 weeks. How accurate are these blood tests? How can I accurately know how far pregnant I am? " 

Reply to Liezl