Question
Posted by: Pamela | 2012/04/11

Pregnancy

Thank you for your reply to my questions posted on 28 March.

Yesterday I went to my GP for an ultrasound. It showed I am exactly 11 weeks.

I have a few questions:

1. I have PCOS and had a previous miscarriage. My gynae gave me Utrogestan to take due to bleeding from week 6. I still have bleeding (mostly brown) and my GP says it''s due to vanishing twin (the empty sac is getting smaller). She wants me to stop taking the Utrogestan, but I am so scared to do it. I know some doctors believe that it doesn''t prevent miscarriage, but I like to believe it does. I still have enough Utrogestan to last till 25 April when I''ll be 13w1d. Would it be harmful to my baby to continue using it till 13w1d?

2. I am going to my gynae on 30 April for my 13 weeks ultrasound and Downs tests. According to yesterday''s ultrasound I will be 13w6d on 30 April. Will they still be able to do the Downs tests or will it be too late?

3. Does the vanishing twin pose any threat to my pregnancy? Can it cause a miscarriage for the remaining baby? Should I worry about the bleeding that I still have? How long can the bleeding continue?

It would not be harmful to continue with the uterogestan though it is probably not necessary.
The Down's test can be done up to 13 weeks 6 days.
There is a slightly higher miscarriage risk with a vanishing twin.
The bleeding suggests that you are still at risk. Unfortunately there is nothing more you can do other than wait and see.

1