Posted by: Pamela | 2012-03-28

Went for an ultrasound yesterday. GP said I''''m 8w4d. I have had spotting and light cramping since 6 weeks and have had ultrasounds done every week since then. Yesterday she saw that I had a second gestational sac (divided from the first one with a septum) but that it was empty (vanishing twin). I have also been using Utrogestan 100mg (2 per day) since 5 weeks, because I have PCOS and had a previous miscarriage. She wants me to wait till 12 weeks for the next ultrasound.

My questions are:
1. Why did she not see the second gestational sac on earlier ultrasounds?
2. Could it be possible that there can still be a living embryo inside the second gestational sac, but that it is just not developing as quickly?
3. Is it possible that there can be more gestational sacs that she can''''t see?
4. She wants me to reduce the Utrogestan to 1 per day and then to stop completely. I am too scared to do that. Is she correct? If she is, how should I go about doing it? For how long should I take 1 per day before stopping completely?
5. Should I wait till 12 weeks for the next ultrasound or go sooner?

Thank you!

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with your medical history or physical examination and it is therefore, difficult to speculate about your questions. At this point in time, there is nothing that you can do to alter the outcome of your pregnancy. Do not be too concerned and rather weight until 12 weeks for the next ultrasound. At twelve weeks, the fetus is much more developed and structures are easily seen on an ultrasound. Continue with the medication, as prescribed by your doctor until your next appointment.