Posted by: Pamela | 2012-03-28

Went for an ultrasound yesterday. GP said I''m 8w4d. I have had spotting and light cramping since 6 weeks and have had ultrasounds done every week since then. Yesterday she saw that I had a second gestational sac (divided from the first one with a septum) but that it was empty (vanishing twin). I have also been using Utrogestan 100mg (2 per day) since 5 weeks, because I have PCOS and had a previous miscarriage. She wants me to wait till 12 weeks for the next ultrasound.

My questions are:
1. Why did she not see the second gestational sac on earlier ultrasounds?
2. Could it be possible that there can still be a living embryo inside the second gestational sac, but that it is just not developing as quickly?
3. Is it possible that there can be more gestational sacs that she can''t see?
4. She wants me to reduce the Utrogestan to 1 per day and then to stop completely. I am too scared to do that. Is she correct? If she is, how should I go about doing it? For how long should I take 1 per day before stopping completely?
5. Should I wait till 12 weeks for the next ultrasound or go sooner?

Thank you!

1. The smaller or eralier the pregnancy the more difficult it is to see details.
2. At 8 weeks , if there was a viable embryo it should be visible by now.
3. Possible but not likely.
4. You will have to sk your doctor exactly how she wants you to reduce the uterogestan. It is questiobale whether uterogeatn works in preventing miscarriages anyway unless therre is proven luteal phase deficiency.
5. There would not be any value in having an earlier scan.

Posted by: Michelle | 2012-03-29

Have you been to see a proper Gynae ? I think that would be the best and safest option. GP''s are good but Gynae''s are better. I say this as i was only 2 weeks late with my period and i went to my GP - he could not see anything in a scan and said by the end of the 3rd week if i didnt get my period he would force induce my period, My body told me something else so i booked for an appointment with the gynae for the next monday and guess what - i am 5 weeks pregnant! Had i listened to my GP i would miscarried the baby.

See your Gynae and let us know the outcome.

Good Luck!

Reply to Michelle