Question
Posted by: ANNON | 2011-09-07

Pregnancy

Hope you are well. I am not sure who to post this question to.
My sister had a little girl (now 9 years old) born with a cleft lip. Luckily it was not right through or through the mouth. We do not have any disabilites or sickness of the kind in our or her husbands family.

What could have been the cause and what are the chances of this or something worse happening again if she wanted to try and have another baby?

I would really like to give my sister some good advice I know she wants another child but is extremely scared something like that or worse will happen again.

Thank You.

The chances of recurrence would be small, though a bit higher than if she had not had a child with a cleft lip. When she is pregnant again, she should see a geneticist to give her an exact risk.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-09-13