Question
Posted by: Gilda | 2010-02-12

Pregnancy

I conceived 20/12/09. Had a sonar 4/2/10 and Doctor couldn' t see or hear heartbeat. I' m going for another scan 19/2/10. I have a 4 year old through IVF and am 44 years old. I was sent for a more thorough scan with my first child because she seemed very small for her age. She weighed 2.4kg at birth (full term) and is still a small child, but very healthy. My husband and I are both small people. Should I be worried? If the foetus is not living would there be any other way of knowing, besides scan? Would I not start bleeding if the foetus was not alive, and how long could it carry on without something happening, or do I have to wait for the scan on 19th? I' m worried because this is probably my last chance to have a 2nd child.

The only way really is to wait for the scan on the 19th. Early pregnancies would not be seen on the scan. If you had a quantitative pregnancy test, you can repeat this to see if the hormone levels are going up.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-02-15