Posted by: Henriette Cloete | 2009-09-23

I have PCOS, insulin resistant. My periods are irregular. My gynocolgist started me on clomid earlier this year. After the first time I fell pregnant, but had a miscarrage at 4 weeks, due to low progestorone levels. Waited 3 months after miscarag for another period, used clomid day 5-9 and 200mg progestorone day 10-23, i have no clue if I ovulated,i am currently on day 21 of my cycle, I have period like cramps, sore breast and I am extremely tired during the day. Are these symptoms because of the progestorone pill or can I be pregnant. This is so frustrating as I have no idea if I ovulated and when it was. Please help

Dear Henriette Cloete

It is extremely difficult to give you an accurate idea of whether you ovulated or not and when. It is common practice to use an ovulation monitoring method either ultrasound scanning or the urine LH testing kits whilst on treatment. Also the use of progesterone from day-10 of your cycle is inappropriate as this may interfere with endometrial development and the progesterone should be use after ovulation has occurred. The symptoms you described may well be due to the progesterone but may also occur in the early stages of pregnancy but the pregnancy possibility is highly unlikely on day-21.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim