Posted by: Tho | 2008-12-12

I just found out that i' m pregnant &  I assume that i' m four weeks. This is my first pregnancy and i' m clue less on what to do next. I' m not on medical aid so i' ll be using cash throughout my pregnancy. What i' d like to know is, what' s next, when should I go for my prenatal check up. I did call a private hospital and they told me it was too early for a prenatal check up.

If you have no medical problems, you can go around 8 weeks.

Posted by: Lulu | 2008-12-17

Hi Tho, you are just like me, I contact Fedhealth and they said they can still take me, I am 6weeks, they only allow if you are not more than 10 weeks but you have to produce the pathology test as proof of your pregnancy, try them and hear what they have to say.

Good luck!

Reply to Lulu
Posted by: Tho | 2008-12-15

Thank you guys for all your advice. FTM Thanks for the tips

Reply to Tho
Posted by: Jessie | 2008-12-12

Spectramend wont cover your pregnancy and there will be a waiting period of up to a year if I am not mistaking

Reply to Jessie
Posted by: FTM | 2008-12-12

Hi there Tho,

Congrats... :o)

In the meantime thought this would help:

What not to eat when you are pregnant:

•  Raw Meats and Seafood including sushi - all uncooked and rare meats and seafood should be avoided due to high risk of listeria and salmonella poisoning.
•  Deli meats including hot dogs - these deli meats might be contaminated with listeria bacteria which may result in miscarriage or even a stillbirth. It' s safe to eat deli meats if you reheat them until steaming hot.
•  Refrigerated smoked seafood - for the same reason of listeria contamination. It is safe if they are contained in cooked dishes. Canned and shelf-stable versions are safe to eat.
•  Raw eggs - raw eggs may contain salmonella. Some Caesar salad dressings, mayonnaise, homemade ice cream and custards as well as Hollandaise sauces may be made with raw eggs. It is best to check with your server in a restaurant  if in doubt, it is best to avoid it. In addition, unpasteurized eggnog should be avoided.
•  Fish high in mercury - avoid high-mercury fish such as Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel and Tilefish. Also limit fish intake to no more than 2 servings per week. For more info - read Is it Safe to eat Fish during Pregnancy?
•  Soft cheese - avoid the following soft cheeses: Feta, Brie, and Camembert cheeses, blue-veined cheeses, queso blanco, queso fresco and Panela. They are safe to eat if they are labelled pasteurized.
•  Refrigerated pâ tes or meat spreads - for the same reason of listeria contamination. It is safe to eat the canned or shelf-stable versions.
•  Liver - liver is a rich source of iron. However it contains a high level of Vitamin A. Large amounts of Vitamin A can be harmful to the baby.
•  Unpasteurized milk and juices
•  Alcohol - many documented fetal abnormalities and birth defects have been associated with alcohol use during pregnancy.

Enjoy a healthy pregnancy!

Reply to FTM
Posted by: d | 2008-12-12

There are some medical aids that will still cover you. try spectramed and phone a few others. u are only 4 weeks so they might still consider you.
4 weeks is a bit early as they wont be able to see much. go back at around 8 weeks
good luck

Reply to d