Question
Posted by: layem | 2011/05/04

pregnanct test positive,scan shows empty uterus

Gone for prenancy test twice and it cums out positive,went for a scan but d results is uterus emptY and normal in size with a thickened endometrial plate dat yields lyesis at a very early decidual rxn phase one. Pls wat does dis mean? Tanx

Dear Layem

There are only two possibilities in this instance, the one is that the pregnancy is too early or is not advancing due to implantation factors or the second possibility is that of an ectopic pregnancy. A pregnancy test should be done at two day intervals and should be a sensitive blood test or a quantitative Beta HCG. If the levels are doubling or increasing by 70% then this would be highly suggestive of a normally developing pregnancy. If however the levels are remaining static or declining then this would indicate an impending pregnancy loss such as a miscarriage. However it is important to rule out the possibility of an ectopic in any case. A transvaginal ultrasound scan should be done by an experienced gynaecologist to rule out the possibility.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

2
Posted by: courtney | 2011/06/15

I had my first and only scan at 6weeks and was glad to find a heartbeat and all was normal. I had another scan booked for when I was 13weeks but I had to travel for work and I came back only around my 20th week so I made an appointment for my dating scan but when I got there the dr told me that my uterus was empty and that she could not find an baby old enough to be 20weeks anywhere in my body. She told me it is the possible that my body absorbed the baby right after my first scan so I have not been pregnant since then! My problem is I have not had any cramping or even a dot of blood since then so how is it possible that I lost the baby or that my body absorbed the baby. To complicate matters she told me she found something in there that was only around 1cm and asked if it was possible that I got pregnant again recently. I have only had sex within the last 2weeks so don''t know what to think, I did a pregnancy text and it was negative. Can someone pls explain to me to your understanding what you think is going on, could it be a new pregnancy? Can my body absorbe my baby without any bleeding and what could this 1cm thing she found in the ultrasound be? I would really appreciate any answer I can get cos am really confused and worried.

Reply to courtney
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/05/09

Dear Layem

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert