Question
Posted by: Annie | 2012/07/27

pregnacy &  protien

I am currently 19 weeks pregnant. I have not eaten meat for the past 2 months. I try to eat eggs twice a week but cant keep meat down.

What else can I eat to get some protien for myself and baby?

I am so tired! Can this be due to lack of protien?

Dear Annie
Congratulations on your pregnancy. If you find that eating meat makes you nauseous (?) and that you can also not eat eggs, except for about 2 a week, then it is important to use the other sources of high quality protein such as milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese, other cheeses and legumes (dry canned or cooked beans, peas, lentils and soya) as your sources of protein. Some people find that they can also obtain the protein they require from using a protein supplement which you can buy from the chemist shop. Use it well chilled to prevent nausea. Besides a lack of protein, I am also concerned that you may not be getting sufficient easily absorbable iron, zinc and calcium. The lack of iron may cause anaemia which can make you feel very tired and exhausted. Please ask the medical doctor who is overseeing your pregnancy to test if you have an iron deficiency (mention that you have not eaten meat for 2 months). If you are iron-deficient the dr will prescribe an iron supplement. If you are using plenty of milk, yoghurt and cheese then you should be getting enough calcium. Otherwise please mention this to the doctor too, so that he/she can prescribe a complete mineral and vitamin supplement and a calcium supplement for you in addition to the iron supplement that is usually given during pregnancy.
Holding thumbs that you will soon feel better and wishing you all the best for the remainder of your pregnancy.

1

Dear Annie